[haiku-development] reviving R1/Alpha2 & R1 Final discussions.

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 18:28:10 +0000

Seeing as the R1/Alpha 2 & R1 Final discussions are gathering dust,
here's some food for thought.
Here's the previous discussion :
//www.freelists.org/archive/haiku-development/02-2010

At least the feature list for R1 Final needs to be a(n informal) vote.

In general, since the Beta's should be feature complete, could they be
released on a tighter cycle, eg ASAP?
Eg, tag the last alpha for release & branch beta 1 on the same day.
(also for tagging beta K and branching beta K+1)

Onto the meat ...

 * Immediate issues for R1/Alpha 2
   1. lack of IRQ Routing + wifi drivers can prevent boot
   1. possible ACPI issues
   1. possible MTTR issues (does r35825 resolve them?)
   1. kernel/vm - some people are still seeing stability issues
   1. do we need to find a solution/agreement of /boot/system vs.
/boot/common for MandatoryPackages?
   1. repackaging Optional packages or modifying directory layout
      * always ensure 2 archives (either for gcc2 & gcc4 -or- gccX,
gccYhybrid) :
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku/Haiku-gcc2hybrid-and-software-for-gcc4,10
      * always place libs, addons into a gcc2 or gcc4 folder :
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku/Haiku-gcc2hybrid-and-software-for-gcc4,30

 * Feature inclusions for R1 Final
   1. If Layout must be included
      * If Layout must be public API or can be private
   1. If Locale must be included
      * If Locale must be public API or can be private
   1. How do those two API's affect backwards compatibility for
Haiku-gcc2 binaries?
   1. Which 3rd party apps must be localized
      * Vision
      * Pe
      * BePDF
      * Clockwerk
      * WonderBrush
   1. Which BeOS R5 features must we include:
      * Device manager (code is where?)
      * TTY layer
      * bootman improvements
         1. support multiple drives
         1. user selectable destination drive (eg, install to usb stick)
         1. writembr
      * floppy drive support
   1. Miscellaneous to include:
      * Network preflet rewrite (code is where?)
      * Package manager
         1. UnionFS
      * Wifi userland integration
      * Wifi encryption
      * Debugger
      * Jamfile engine

Lastly, here's some urls for Trac
http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/R1/ReleaseRoadMap -- general overview of
all releases
http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/FutureHaikuFeatures -- general overview
of all features, subtasks, and reasons for/against
http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/R1/Alpha1ReportedIssues -- dynamic ticket
query page
http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/R1/Alpha2/StatusAndCoordination#Blockerissues
-- current open tickets for R1/Alpha2