[haiku-development] Re: read-only problems (was: Follow-up to the "Luposian bug")

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:52:43 +0200

Dustin Howett wrote:
> On an unrelated note (well, related only by the fact that it'd be an
> emblem too) why the decision to forgo the red checkmark for prefs? It was
> a very defining element of the visual style ... in my opinion.

Opinions do go apart on that one. From my impression, the majority was
welcoming the change though. The logic is that

* It takes up valuable space at small icon sizes which is needed to make the
  icon more recognizable.
* It is kind of useless information when you already navigated into the
  Preferences folder.

It only adds value when just looking at the Deskbar entry of an already
running preflet.

On the other hand, I do see the benefit of distinguishing types of
applications somehow. For example, with regard to the background servers, I
am torn. zuMi, who submited quite a few of the current icons, told me we
should leave the hand away. But I do somehow like the obvious
differentiation this gives. Ah, decisions, decisions... :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan