[haiku-development] Re: read-only problems (was: Follow-up to the "Luposian bug")

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 17:51:19 +0200 CEST

Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I've overwritten it with r24841 and, running into a similar issue,
> affecting only my data partition, found out that mounting it under
> BeOS resolved the issue.

That might or might not help, depending on how Haiku left it behind.
Running "chkbfs" on the disk should make sure that at least the disk
structure is healthy (more or less, Be's chkbfs isn't really very
thorough).

> I might add that read-only volumes do not seem to be accounted for in
> Haiku's UI yet. Apart from the missing remaining-space bar I could
> not
> tell that the partition was mounted read-only, baron did have write
> permissions. StyledEdit didn't complain when saving, and in Tracker
> attempts to rename files were silently ignored.

I don't have a problem with silently ignoring (as you normally know
what volume is read-only and why), but StyledEdit should definitely
mention it.
I've just recently added a few more read-only checks into BFS, but I
guess some are missing - like the permission set. Currently open()
allows O_RDWR also on read-only volumes (like the original BFS), but I
guess I should change that, too :-)

Bye,
   Axel.