[haiku-development] Re: read ahead (was: Re: Haiku R1/alpha discussion proposals)

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:14:39 +0200 CEST

"Salvatore Benedetto" <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2008/8/14 François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>:
> >> Prop # 33: Read-ahead feature
> > numbers don't really fit well here, it went into shipping specific
> > stuff :)
> >
> > I still have some stuff from last SoC that could be used, but the
> > cache
> > has been a moving target all along...
> Could you please at least commit the code somewhere in the repository
> so
> someone else can have a look at it if you don't have time?
>
> It's getting dusty in your hard drive. ;-)

On mine as well :-)
It's not really usable as is, I think, though; for some reason it was
developed pretty much separately (with superfluous code duplication),
and I don't think it's worth trying to integrate it.
The new I/O scheduler makes that stuff a lot easier to do, anyway. All
we need is the logic to detect sequential access for read-ahead (and to
decrease the page utilization), and that's pretty simple, anyway.

Bye,
   Axel.