[haiku-development] Re: r40675 - in haiku/branches/features/package-management: build/jam build/scripts data/system/boot headers/os/storage src/system/boot/loader ...

  • From: Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 19:11:37 +0100

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 17:32, Oliver Tappe wrote:

> If 'standard base directories' refers to folders containing 'add-ons',
> ,'apps', 'bin', ... subfolders, then it'll be this:
>
> /boot/system/packages/contents
> /boot/common/packages/contents
> /boot/home/config/packages/contents

Yes, that was what I meant. I thought packages would perhaps not be
used for /boot/system, though, but am sort of glad they will if that
simplifies system upgrade/downgrade management.

>> But perhaps all five directories will be used so that users have the
>> choice of using packages or organizing things by hand, e.g. for
>> applications in development?
>
> Yep, I think that makes most sense in /boot/home/config, for development
> and for installing old apps and/or add-ons (the ones that aren't available
> as hpkg).

Right, so four sets of directories should be searched by the system
then? The three package-fs mountpoints, plus 'backward compatible'
directories under /boot/home/config. This means that the config level
is indeed still necessary. I'm not so sure it would have been
otherwise. For instance, the 'be' directory should be renamed anyway,
and might as well be /boot/home/settings/leaf-menu.

Your answer indicates that 'backward compatible' directories are not
really necessary under /boot/common (since this did not exist on
BeOS), but isn't this mostly because /boot/common and
/boot/home/config are essentially the same thing until multi-user
arrives in R2? What if people want to install things system-wide on R2
without using packages?

-Truls