[haiku-development] Re: r1a3 anyboot image too big for CD

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 09:55:42 -0700

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The ISO cd images, are still under 700MiB though ... But if a "with
> sources"'disc is made, it'll most likely be above 700MiB

I think it's time to seriously consider offering the "sources" as a
separate CD upon request and/or as a downloadable package.

I believe our infrastructure is solid enough that we can ensure these
are kept for the obligatory period of time that GPL/LGPL requires.

As for the image sizes - they're only likely going to get larger
unless we start finding ways to cut the fat.

One option is to support "compressed packages" on the anyboot images
just like we do on ISO. Another option is to find a way to compress
the entire BFS image using something like SquashFS...

Also, I'm not sure if our optional packages contain stripped binaries
or not - but that might be a way to save some significant space as
well.

- Urias