[haiku-development] Re: r1a3 anyboot image too big for CD

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 21:55:00 +0200

Michael Lotz wrote:
> > On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 15:21, Michael Lotz <mmlr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > The fact that El-Torito doesn't
> > > use the first few blocks is leveraged to also put an MBR inside
> > > this
> > > part. Both things combined this allows images to be burned to a CD
> > > or
> > > written to a USB stick or disk directly, essentially removing the
> > > need
> > > for a seperate CD and raw image for the different device types.
> >
> > Well, I do like being able to mount raw images within Haiku and using
> > it as the source partition within Installer.
>
> Yes, but that's just a missing feature. The anyboot image is a valid
> "disk" image containing a partitioning system, so it can be mounted
> just as well. I don't remember if disk images containing a partitioning
> systems are supported yet though. I guess at least auto detection and
> mounting isn't. I think once the image is registred with the disk device
> manager it should be mountable already but others would know the current
> status on that. So I'd rather have this implemented/finished than having
> to provide a seperate image type.

There's a small tool "diskimage" (not part of the default image) which already
allows to register files as disk devices. The contents is then automatically
recognized. The problem is recognizing (sniffing) the file type. I think you
won't get around introducing a new MIME type, so you can trigger the correct
action. I suppose ATM the image will be recognized as an ISO image.

CU, Ingo