[haiku-development] Re: questions about ports an gcc4 (may be irrelevant)

  • From: "Michael Weirauch" <dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 07:58:30 +0100

2008/12/11 scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Skar Cat <skarmiglione.sk4r@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> i have a few curiosities
>> 1. what can i do to get work blender in haiku os, compiling svn source.
>
> Blender has many dependencies.  It was ported to BeOS, so the chances
> we'll get it ported to Haiku are good.  To get it ported though will
> take someone to sit down and get that list of dependencies together
> and then we can start working on those.  Once those are all in place
> then further work can be done on the blender code to get it to
> compile, and once it's compiling it may need to be debugged to make
> sure it's working correctly.
> The same goes for a few other projects that were once working on BeOS
> but are having issues on Haiku.  One that comes to mind is AbiWord.
> Probably in the next few weeks here I'll open up a new milestone (or
> more) to cover some of these.  For now I'm focused on closing out a
> couple of the open HaikuPorts milestones.  If you are interested in
> ports for Haiku, then sign up for the mailing list(s) over there and
> we can continue the discussions.

As mentioned in another mail, Blender builds fine with some of the deps
commented. Can't recall offhand which I disabled temporarily. I stuffed
in revised parts of the old ZETA patch and blender runs. But it has drawing
problems, as the MesaSoftwareRenderer has no double buffering as of yet.
I would liked to dive into that again, but my old laptop died, and the new
ThinkPad freezes quite frequently. (Seems on disk io.) So I am primarily
interessted in getting the setup more stable first.

Michael