[haiku-development] Re: pkg-config and autotools

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 09:30:51 +0200

On 27/04/2012 05:20, David Couzelis wrote:
> A nice software developer wrote a library I'd like to use on Haiku. I
> was able to compile it in Haiku, but I had to tweak the autotools
> build files a bit to get it to work. I'm working with the original
> developer to update the build files to make the library compile more
> easily in Haiku.
>
> The build files for the library use one instance of the
> "PKG_CHECK_MODULES" macro, which apparently fails if pkg-config isn't
> installed. I didn't realize autotools (which comes with Haiku) has a
> macro that has sort of a dependency on pkg-config. That (autotools)
> seems kind of silly to me. My question is:

It's unfortunate but quite usual. Libraries also tend to install their
own autoconf macro files around.

> Should I make pkg-config a depency of the library and install
> pkg-config using Haiku Ports? Will pkg-config be part of the Haiku

Yes.

> standard installation some day, or remain without it (like Mac OS X,

Well it's available via macport.

> apparently)? Should I remove the "PKG_CHECK_MODULES" macro and replace
> it with something else (if there is a recommended substitute)?

I'd be inclined to suggest adding it to the developer's package, because
we tend to install things in unusual places (we don't have /usr), and
well, we won't fix everything to our point of view.
pkg-config provides one way to have other apps find where we put things.

François.