[haiku-development] notifications

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Haiku Development" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 10:05:47 +0200

Hi there,

now that the notification thing is pretty much the first thing someone
sees of Haiku, I must say it looks completely alien to the rest of the
system.

Furthermore, it seems to be packed with extra functionality (like
grouping the notifications by application, and being able to close them
individually, as a group, as well as collapse them groupwise), which is
pretty much useless in 99% of the cases, and just makes the whole thing
more annoying as needed. I think it's nice to be able to configure the
messages, but it doesn't have to be thrown in my face like that.

If you want to see a nice looking alternative that blends in nicely
with the rest of the look and feel, try the latest Ubuntu. It's
notifications are much more subtle, and look a lot more elegant.

And finally, also the preferences app look not only broken (missing
icons?), but also alien to the rest. Why can't it just use a BTabView
like everyone else? Why does it want to look like Firefox???

IOW this has to be reworked - or removed - before the next release. Is
anyone up to it, or do I have to do this in my spare time? :-)

Bye,
   Axel.