[haiku-development] Re: new ata bus_manager question

  • From: Michael Weirauch <dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:11:49 +0200

Marcus Overhagen schrieb:

> Yes, because in compatibility mode, AHCI is simply gone and appears to
> as an normal IDE/ATA controller.
>
>>> When the ACHI bus_manager (bus_managers/scsi) is supposed to
>>> become/be unused ...
>> Can you rephrase? I don't understand.
> I don't understand either.

That was inspired by Stephans first reply:

> Yes, on my machine, that's what happens. When I pick "IDE" mode
> ("compatible" or "enhanced" makes no difference), the AHCI bus_manager
> becomes unused and the ATA bus_manager is used instead.

That lead me to assume the AHCI bus_manager - which is bus_managers/scsi
 if I am not totally mistaken - is not used.

>>> ... why is it effectively required for boot? I am getting a bit
>>> confused. Is it because of "the SCSI layer is always on top of any
>>> disk drivers"?
> This is because all disk access goes through the SCSI bus manager.
>
>> If I understood this correctly, then all disk access is handled via
>> the SCSI layer. ATA, IDE, AHCI are all add-ons to the SCSI layer. So
>> the ATA
> Correct.

Thank you both for the explanation!

Is there some introductory documentation on how these pieces
(bus_managers/busses/drivers) are actually tied together?

Michael