[haiku-development] Re: new ata bus_manager question

  • From: Michael Weirauch <dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 13:12:32 +0200

Stephan Assmus schrieb:
> On 2009-04-19 at 12:45:57 [+0200], Michael Weirauch <dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This likely sounds like an ignorant question, and I am in that respect:
>>
>> Is the new ata bus_manager supposed to kick in on a SATA controller
>> running in compat-mode (non-AHCI)?
>
> Yes, on my machine, that's what happens. When I pick "IDE" mode
> ("compatible" or "enhanced" makes no difference), the AHCI bus_manager
> becomes unused and the ATA bus_manager is used instead.

When the ACHI bus_manager (bus_managers/scsi) is supposed to become/be
unused ...

>> Disks are still published as /dev/disk/scsi, too.
>
> In Haiku, the SCSI layer is always on top of any disk drivers. IIRC, Marcus
> made a change to the IDE and his ATA bus_managers so that published devices
> are still in /dev/disk/ata/master... but the new ATA bus_manager from
> Michael does not do this yet. So that's why you see the scsi device tree
> like with the AHCI driver.
>
>> When removing bus_managers/scsi I get into KDL due to the fact that no
>> boot partition can be found. This supposed to happen in non-AHCI
>> controller mode?
>
> Yes.

... why is it effectively required for boot? I am getting a bit
confused. Is it because of "the SCSI layer is always on top of any disk
drivers"? Is it just paving the way on boot for the ata bus_manager to
take over?

Michael