[haiku-development] Re: native boot

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:52:24 +0200

richard jasmin wrote:
> yes, i do mean [jammed src's] . unfortunately its the only way right
> now.dd'ing the image just doesn't produce a bootable drive.

You *can* dd an image to a partition, but you need to run Haiku's version
of makebootable on it. Among other things, the partition offset is written
to it at a magic offset. Without running (Haiku's) makebootable, dd'd
images can simply not work.

> i think kernel_intel is a part of ZETA last i looked at it when it was
> running.i was trying to find the boot kernel, you know the one like
> vmlinuz on *NIX that boots from lilo or grub. found it along with a bunch
> of other scripts.I swear kernel_intel was in there.

But Haiku has kernel_x86, not kernel_intel. Anyways, you need a Haiku
zbeos, the BeOS/ZETA scripts will obviously use a BeOS/ZETA zbeos, which
cannot work.

> is the ZETA bootloader any different from r5, then?

The point is that Haiku's bootloader is different. Neither the BeOS nor
ZETA zbeos can boot Haiku. If you mean bootman (the boot menu) both the
BeOS and ZETA versions can be used to boot Haiku. Makebootable is something
separate from that and absolutely needs to be performed.

If you want to save yourself a lot of trouble, please just install a Linux
and follow the build instructions on our site to create your on Haiku
bootable partitions. This is the best way to follow progress and currently
we don't really support other ways of installing Haiku very well.

Best regards,
-Stephan