[haiku-development] Re: multi-selection semantics

  • From: "DarkWyrm" <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 20:51:27 -0400 EDT

> Hi there,
>
> Ticket http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/1255 proposes to change the
> multi
> -selection semantics in Haiku to fit those used in Windows, Linux,
> and
> partially MacOS X (it does use the Apple key instead of the Control
> key, though).
> Do I hear anybody weeping in the dark when I do as the ticked says? :
> -)
>
> Otherwise I'd do it in the next few days.
While I am definitely in favor of doing the task to make modifier
clicks consistent, *_please_* don't do it as the ticket says. The
ticket lists a method which is completely opposite of the Windows world
and almost so from MacOS (which, IIRC, uses Option for multiple
selections). Linux isn't really consistent in much (IMO), so I don't
really count it on this one. Shift clicking is for selecting a range
and Control clicking (that is, with Windows' "command" key) selects
multiple individual items.

Use of modifiers in combination with clicking or using the scroll wheel
has never, ever been consistent in the UI. As a frequent user of these,
it drives me absolutely batty.

--Jon