[haiku-development] Re: multi-selection semantics

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 17:23:57 +0200

On 2007-06-06 at 12:04:00 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I was thinking the current leftclick+control (the single-button-mouse
> > fallback option to bring up the right-click context menu) would
> > conflict
> > with the function control would have in list selection, but people
> > with
> > Control set as the "shortcut key" have leftclick+alt as the context
> > menu fallback option.
>
> Oh, you're right. That means we should better mimic MacOS X here, which
> uses:
> * shift for range selecting (as windows)
> * command for single item selecting (instead of control)
> * control for right click - at least Tracker does so, but it's only
> Tracker which does this
>
> IOW maybe we should get rid of control-click for the right mouse button
> in Tracker, and make it a system wide thing (which would potentially
> break a lot of apps), or get rid of it altogether. OTOH the left click
> delayed context menu popup is another Tracker feature that is not
> consistent with how the rest of the system behaves. Any ideas?
>
> Also, I just found out that, at least on BeOS, the behaviour is indeed
> inconsistent, as the list views are using the option key for range
> selecting, while Tracker is using the command key for this.

I vote for getting rid of the Ctrl+left-mouse == right-mouse emulation and
make both Command and Option behave the same way with respect to list
selections (some people don't even have an Option key), i.e. Command and
Option can be used for single item selection, Shift for range selections,
and, if someone implements it, Command-Shift and Option-Shift for
multi-range selections.

CU, Ingo