[haiku-development] Re: multi-selection semantics

  • From: DarkWyrm <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 07:55:16 -0400

Axel Dörfler wrote:
"Euan Kirkhope" <euan.kirkhope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
While we're at it, the delayed rename is a pet peeve. Would love to
see it killed...

Unlike what Windows do, the delayed rename is only visually in Tracker; you can start editing right away. And FWIW I'd like to keep it seeing how many people click the label instead of the icon to open something.
Far more people click on the label in List mode than the icon because it's bigger. I think that's probably the reason that it's even an issue. When large icons are used, the big square area is easiest to acquire (Fitts' Law), but when the size of the icon is reduced to 16x16, all but the smallest of text labels are easier to click on. I always run in List mode and I've seen countless instances of a user clicking on the text label in order to select it and end up in the renaming mode. :/ Considering that selecting is a more common action than renaming, I *still* think it needs to go.

--Jon