[haiku-development] Re: merge branch

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 17:36:47 +0200

Hi Niels,

Am 14.05.2010 um 11:58 schrieb Niels Reedijk:

I would be glad if you would want to try the hg+mq
experiment, to see whether it is a viable option for us.

I had a look into it and I don't think it fits us as-is. It only works for one branch, so instead of "experimental.mq" it should be called, e.g., "stackandtile.mq". The reason being that there are many unrelated branches that will be unhandy to have in one queue's series. On one of my systems alone I have shared x86/ppc commits tweaking kernel settings and enabling some trace options. Then some pure ppc fixes and workarounds. Based on that a TCP branch. Based on that an iSCSI branch. Elsewhere a branch with x86 signal stuff. Confining all such branches to one single queue breaks the whole model of distributed development.

So for Mercurial I guess we'd need separate patch queues provided by the people working on a topic and, ideally, a directory of such branches available from [dev.]haiku-os.org. I haven't played with it yet but I noticed mq allows for named patch queues, so it might be possible for Clemens to publish an S&T queue on an Australian hg server he and his students can push to for ".hg/patches-stacktile", and then hopefully we could still have a local ".hg/patches" queue on top or in front. Otherwise it turns pretty moot...

Andreas