[haiku-development] Re: "media-plugin" naming convention (wasRe: Donating codes: APE reader)

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 19:16:30 +0200

Michael Lotz wrote:
> If it's just about renaming "plugins" because "plugins" sounds so alien
> on BeOS/Haiku I would simply rename it to "codecs" instead. That should
> describe the purpose better than plugins and is a more generally
> understood term. Pure readers/writers that only handle container formats
> could otherwise also be put into a "containers" directory while such that
> combine both reader/writer and decoders/encoders would simply be put into
> "codecs" (and maybe symlink them to "containers" wouldn't be that bad of
> an idea either).
>
> So I could imagine something like:
>
> .../add-ons/media/dormant.media_addon
> .../add-ons/media/codecs/3ivx.codec
> .../add-ons/media/codecs/musepack.codec
> .../add-ons/media/containers/avi.container
> .../add-ons/media/containers/mpeg.container
> .../add-ons/media/containers/musepack.container <- symlink to ../codecs
> /musepack.codec
>
> But since I'm not really that familiar in how these media add-ons work
> internally I wouldn't know if this makes sense.

+1. I am all for using common names. Demuxer and Muxer is also commonly
used, but Container is better. And Codecs fits nicely. I don't know if I
like the symlink thing so much, though. It could even work to do something
like this:

.../add-ons/media/dormant.media_addon
.../add-ons/media/codecs/3ivx.codec
.../add-ons/media/codecs/avi.container
.../add-ons/media/codecs/mpeg.container
.../add-ons/media/codecs/musepack
.../add-ons/media/codecs/x264.encoder
.../add-ons/media/codecs/xvid.decoder

and simply have containers in codecs too.

Best regards,
-Stephan