[haiku-development] Re: math.h

  • From: Jonathan Schleifer <js-haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 02:28:58 +0100

Am 02.12.2012 um 18:45 schrieb pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> I just said it: for the time being, gcc2 is still our official and
> supported ABI, wether you like it or not. We can improve it as long as
> binary compatibility isn't affected. Adding more functions is considered ok.
>
> If you don't want to contribute to that, it's your choice. Haiku choice is
> to ensure binary compatibility as long as it's reasonable to do so. Sure,
> there is a lot of modern technology out there, but if we break
> compatibility each time there's an update of gcc, libc, or anything else,
> we'll end up in the same mess as linux. We made another choice, and we live
> with the consequence of some additional work to keep things going. The
> update to a more modern libc and compiler will happen; but it will happen
> after we get R1 out. And we'll still keep a compatibility layer so apps
> released for R1 can run fine on R2.
>
> If you're interested in upgrading libc for gcc4, you can do so, but it is
> not in the scope of R1, where the gcc4 ABI/API is still "experimental and
> unsupported".

What I mean is: We already have software that requires GCC4, because it can't
be ported to GCC2. This all is new software that did not exist on BeOS. So, if
new software requires such functionality, why not just require GCC4 for it
(with a sane libc then) like we already do for other software? Just keep GCC2
for compatibility with BeOS, but not for new applications, and things will be
much easier. I think the time spent to add new features to GCC2 is not worth it
if they could just be compiled for GCC4. Hybrid builds exist for a reason,
right?

--
Jonathan