[haiku-development] Re: man showing several 'ESC' in page mode, and directory precedence issue

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 17:01:04 -0700

On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 12:22:37PM -0700, scottmc wrote:
> I'm seeing a lot of 'ESC's on man pages. [....]

[Shifting the topic slightly] I didn't even know we had 'man' ported (:-/)
but what about 'rman', which I've always used for reading man pages on
BeOS and Haiku.  It takes up a lot less than the 30MB required for the
whole man/groff stuff!

A couple of years ago, I guess when just getting into Haiku, I grabbed
the "latest" rman 3.2 source to get working in Haiku.  (Nothing seems
to have happened since 2003 otherwise, and it's not even easy to find
on sourceforge.)

I did find the 3.2 version a bit deficient, so I did quite a bit of
work in updating it, so that it generated decent HTML, and I added an
'ANSI' mode that does a fairly good job of producing bold, italic
and so on, text for Terminal display.  (It will also give lots of
ESCs unless you use 'less -r'!)

For some reason, I seem to have kept it to myself (I think I didn't
have a Haikuware account at the time).  I think I also mentioned it
here, but didn't see much notice taken.  I'm not sure a 'port' is
appropriate as the original code seems to be completely dormant (though
I see Gentoo Portage has it).

It's not perfect yet -- trying it on some of the man pages in the current
Haiku set, I see the occasional untranslated character (not sure what's
expected to show there) -- but it's a convenient way of quickly reading
man pages.  [I of course have a xicon script that lets you drop an app on
it and will go look for the appropriate page to display in W+... (:-)]

It's been sitting since then at http://www.goodeveca.net/rman3.2a.zip
so if anybody wants to look at it...

        -- Pete --