[haiku-development] man showing several 'ESC' in page mode, and directory precedence issue

  • From: scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 12:22:37 -0700

I'm seeing a lot of 'ESC's on man pages.  This can be fixed by setting
the pager and browser less mode from -is to -isr, but as noted in the
man configure comments for setting this...

# Some people prefer "-irs", but probably only when they have a broken setup.
# (Indeed, -r may cause the terminal to get into funny states.
# Very inconvenient. For viewing pages in strange locales, set LC_*.)
#
DEFAULTLESSOPT="-is"
#

Didn't this used to work?  Did I break something in the
OptionalPackages rebuild process?

I tried updating less to the current version, which even added in
support for wchar which is currently disabled in the config of the
less that is in the Haiku tree, but that didn't seem to have any
affect.  Still seeing the 'ESC's everywhere (when man is set to use
less -is that is).  Still we should consider moving less to an
OptionalPackage one day.

I also noticed that common/bin/less was not being used in place of
system/bin/less.  Should this be reported in a trac ticket?  I thought
the precedence was home/config/bin, then common/bin, then system/bin
to allow for overriding the system commands?
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/which-should-have-precedence-bootcommon-or-boothomeconfig,2
Perhaps is due to the use of /bin/less in places? Shouldn't /bin be
subject to the precedence rules too?

-scottmc