[haiku-development] Re: mail preferences auto config

  • From: "Dustin Howett" <alaricx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 11:43:06 -0500

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Clemens Zeidler
<clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> It may not be, but I wasn't saying that it was. I was addressing a
>> real concern you had about having to open open a whole bunch of files
>> every time the dialog opened, and I suggested a solution to it.
>> Take it as you will; constructive criticism.
>
> Yes I take it as this and you had good ideas! But I think the way to go is
> to start a thread on startup that load the database into memory and/or put
> the database into one textfile. Then the gui blocks only for the very very
> unlikely case that you faster type a email address then the database is
> loaded. But at the moment I don't know if it is worth the affort and that
> was my primary intention.
>
> cheers
>        Clemens

Alright! Sorry about that, I was just being irritable. No hard feelings, I hope.

I do think this patch has potential; there are, however, some places
where you don't strictly follow Haiku coding style (space after
if/while before the parenthesis, not sure on using "gID" instead of
"sID" since it's static, other minor things).

Does the mail setup support specific ports for POP & SMTP servers on
alternate ports, such as gmail? If so, I believe that is also
important to include (though that's only if this gets approval, of
course)

Even if it doesn't, I wouldn't mind seeing a maintained copy of the
program with this addition; user's choice, or even
distribution-packaged.

--
- Dustin L. Howett