[haiku-development] Re: libtool .la files contain package names and versions

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 20:57:37 +0200

On 05.09.2014 17:23, Jérôme Duval wrote:
I discovered that libtool generated .la descriptors contain reference
to package names and versions. For instance, libfreetype.la:

dependency_libs='  -lbz2 -L /packages/libpng-1.5.12-3/.self/lib   ...   '

At the moment, one needs to rebuild devel packages for each new
version/revision of a dependency, a nightmare.

Is this a known fact, or this kind of reference should be fixed
somehow in the recipe?

Yes, the problem is known in principle. The porter needs to check the resulting *.la, *.pc, etc. files and possibly add code to the recipe to fix them.(*) In such a case the dependency link should be used instead:

  /packages/freetype_devel-<version>/devel-libpng/lib

Interestingly the dependency seems to be missing (at least in hrev47705 gcc4h).

I'm not even sure where the above path stems from. It's probably already incorrect in the libpng_devel package. But even if the correct path (/packages/libpng_devel-1.5.12-3/.self/develop/lib) was used there, it would still have to be adjusted in freetype_devel.

CU, Ingo

(*) I guess haikuporter could provide some helper functionality. It knows the dependencies and it knows what paths should be used.