[haiku-development] Re: liblocale -- "bad port ID"?

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 15:06:32 +0100

On 11/14/2012 06:46 AM, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:06 PM, Pete Goodeve
<pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What's the meaning of this messsage I keep getting in my syslog?:

USER 'liblocale.so'[70386]: app application/x-vnd.haiku.mimeset send to client
failed: Bad port ID

....with the app name being whatever I've just run.

It is probably a small bug in liblocale.so which can likely be fixed
with some proper error checking. It sounds like it tries to set up a
messenger but doesn't check whether the messenger is valid before
trying to send a message. Actually since mimeset and unzip (from
Sean's message) are console programs, it may also be the case of
liblocale.so trying to talk to app_server or a BApplication when there
is no BApplication.

The message seems to originate in the app server [1]. I think it says "liblocale.so" because liblocale does an openlog_team() [2]. I don't usually use syslogging, but I guess libraries simply shouldn't do that.

Regarding mimeset, it creates (but never runs) a BApplication, though I don't think there's any reason for that (other than BeOS compatibility perhaps).

CU, Ingo

[1] http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/src/servers/app/ServerApp.cpp#n293
[2] http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/src/kits/locale/MutableLocaleRoster.cpp#n323