[haiku-development] Re: kernel debugging for wpa_supplicant

  • From: Alexander Botero-Lowry <alex.boterolowry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 23:07:03 -0700

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 12:55:17 +0200, "Axel =?windows-1252?q?D=F6rfler?="
<axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 2010-05-31 at 08:14:24 [+0200], Alexander Botero-Lowry
> > <alex.boterolowry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I thought about doing printf debugging,
> > > but since I need a wifi device to test, the debug cycle would be
> > > pretty
> > > infuriating with all the reboots.
> > If you have two machines, booting via PXE helps to cut down the turn
> > around
> > times quite a bit. Though I don't really see why you need to reboot
> > in the
> > first place. Drivers and modules are reloaded live anyway.
>
> Indeed, you just have to remove the interface to cause the driver to be
> unloaded.
>
> If you need to work on the network stack itself, I'm afraid you have to
> fix a problem that has been introduced with the WiFi work that causes
> the stack to stay in memory even if all interfaces have been removed.

Yeah, the ioctls I'm conerned with is handled entirely by the the freebsd
wifi stack itself.

I haven't looked a lot into this, but I did fiddle a bit with
breakpoints in KDL and wasn't able to get exactly the information I
need, so it's going to take compiling the kernel with some custom
debugging code plugged in.

I'll get to this soon, but in case I don't. The complete wpa_supplicant
source with my driver_haiku and the freebsd pcap driver modified to work
on haiku is available here:

http://alexbl.net/~alexbl/haiku-wpa/wpa_supplicant-0.6.10-haiku.tar.gz

I didn't even bother to do a clean, i think i even left a sample
wpa_supplicant.conf with my wifi network password in it in there. :)

alex