[haiku-development] Re: joystick definition files

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 12:57:25 +0200 CEST

> > If someone have any good knowledge about I/O programming in BeOS/
> > Haiku
> > that they can share with me I would appreciate it
>
> That's a bit too general a question. If you look for standard I/O
> port
> programming, you should best use the ISA bus manager, and use its
> read/
> write functions.

There are numerous Be newsletter dealing with that in details you'll
find interesting.

Considering joysticks are input devices we should maybe publish them
from input_server... would make using them as mouse simpler, though
that might add quite some lag unwanted in an FPS...

> > Now to my question.
> > BeOS had some joystick definition files. Would it be any problem if
> > added those from BeOS to Haiku svn?
>
> Unless they explicitly state a permissive license, we cannot do that.

# Description for the Analog 2-axis, 4-button game controller
# Copyright 1998-1999 Be Incorporated. All Rights Reserved

"All rights reserved" so we shouldn't be using it.
OTH it's just a dozen of plain text files.
Surely there is an existing online database of joystick definitions we
could use instead (maybe FreeDesktop.org has one ?) to either generate
those or use directly.

François.