[haiku-development] Re: java?

  • From: Bryan Varner <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 13:27:47 -0400

There's a project out there to bootstrap 1.7 off of GCJ and classpath.

Previously (for 1.4.x) we used jikes, and a handy-dandy re-implementation
of javah written in C++.

Would it make it easier? Perhaps. But I'm not convinced that the effort to
port gcj and classpath is any less than merging our changes to 1.4 (which
is now completely self-hosting) with 1.5...

Anyhow, this whole discussion is really for another day, once I get the
OpenJDK stuff cleared up. Unless some enterprising person with too much
free time decided to do the whole gcj / classpath thing. Personally, I
don't have the stomach to re-implement all the stuff we've already
implemented from scratch again.

-Bryan