[haiku-development] installoptionalpackage source

  • From: Joseph Groover <looncraz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 15:41:19 -0500

Why isn't the source for installoptionalpaclage in the repot?

It is in trunk/data/bin.

I've been reviewing the discussion re: friendlier package installation and remembered back to something I already did...

I have some old, but largely functional, code from the PackageManager I was writing for PhOS which should be rather easily "ported" from LoonCAFE to pure Haiku API. I'd keep the initial mockups in LoonCAFE until I had a chance to rework the UI, but the UI is just mocked up for now anyway ( LoonCAFE::UI::Builder is great for that ).

It supports nested categories, package dependencies, variable-length network package/category IDs, uninstall, updates, category/package meta-data, and I'm sure there's more. It doesn't have any networking code, just a NetworkInterface object to be implemented for a given implementation, so I don't have to worry about working around old assumptions ( I didn't make ANY ). That said, it remains untested, but it is a place to have a quick start.

If someone has an idea on how they would like the software depot to be organized/designed let me know, I have the setup (local Ubuntu server, and full access to a remote server as well) and most of the skills needed to make a local setup and to create a functional package manager. As always, time is the primary issue :-(

--The loon