[haiku-development] Re: installing from haiku.hpkg built from source

  • From: Tim Kelly <gtkelly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 18:26:03 -0400

Adrien Destugues wrote:

This should not prevent the system from booting, so your real problem is
probably elsewhere. It would be nice if you could get the boot menu to
work so you can enable on-screen debug and see where the boot stops.

Ok, I was able to get the shift key to work.  Timing is everything.

The error occurs trying to start /boot/system/servers/launch_daemon error = -1. It is preceded by a call to add_memory_type_range(87, 0xe0000000, 0x500000, 1). In looking over the code for add_memory_type_range, I do not see any calls to functions I have modified (and I double-checked that the code I had been working with is not present, to the best of my knowledge - I had been replacing B_BAD_VALUE return values with unique B_* error codes in the vm code, to distinguish where the _kern_reserve_address_range was actually failing).

I have compared launch_daemon from what is installed via pkgman upgrade and what the haiku.hpkg will install - they are the same size to the byte. There is a ~50k byte difference in size between the kernel_x86 file installed from pkgman upgrade and the haiku.hpkg built from source (the installed version is larger, is this the image and other stuff?).

There are several error messages preceding the actual issue, all related to module_init_post_boot_device and all of the nature "failed to normalize path of module image 0x... scsi_disk" etc. There appear to also be several file system errors: trying file_systems/devfs/v1 returned -1 etc.

It somewhat seems like perhaps there is an issue getting the file system to mount properly.

tim

--
Species extinction occurs normally in Nature. Man just helps out when he can.
                -- Alfred Hitchcock