[haiku-development] installing from haiku.hpkg built from source

  • From: Tim Kelly <gtkelly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 15:36:54 -0400

Hi All,
This is not going well. I have done git pull --tags git://git.haiku-os.org/haiku and removed the files I had been working on with git checkout <files>. I ran the pkgman update using the repositories on the web page

https://www.haiku-os.org/guides/daily-tasks/updating-system

which allowed jam clean && jam haiku.hpkg to compile without any complaints.

I used pkgman install <haiku.hpkg location>, and it said "upgrade hrev50167-1-x86_gcc2 to hrev50167-1-x86_gcc2" etc with matching hrevs.

The problem is that when I reboot I get two rows of icons, one in the normal location and one above it, obscuring the Haiku logo. The top row of icons illuminate normally, but when all of the icons on the top row are illuminated, the system hangs. The bottom row never illuminates.

Rebooting and holding down the shift key does not work. The only thing that works is rebooting from an installer iso image and reinstalling - which then has a boot screen with the normal row of icons but _no_ Haiku logo. From there I can pkgman update as above, which restores the Haiku logo.

I have tried this more than once, and short of doing a hard reset with git, I am pretty sure I do not have any custom code in the kernel or runtime_loader with this build.

Has anyone seen this before?  What causes two rows of boot icons?

Thank you,
tim

--
"You might as well pay attention, you can't afford free speech."
                -- George Clinton