[haiku-development] Re: ide bus manager

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 08:02:02 +0100

> > If Haiku supports PC's made in 2005 and newer, IDE won't be the primary
> > interface type to begin with. However, there are several AMD and other
> > chipsets that may stop working if the old IDE driver is removed.

> Otherwise - you get the ata stack by default, not the ide stack. I
> can't remember the last time I used the ide stack instead of the ata
> stack - most of the bugs have been resolved.

To clear any misunderstandings: the ATA stack handles both IDE and SATA
devices. The IDE driver is older code in Haiku, we have both in the source
tree because while the ATA driver was in progress, some machines worked with
the old driver only. If you didn't explicitly enable it in your builds, you
aren't using the IDE driver, but the ATA one.

--
Adrien.