[haiku-development] Re: ide bus manager

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 22:17:03 -0500

Augustin wrote:
So what kind of break in compatibility does this have? Any at all? I think Haiku should support PCs from 2005 onward at least...

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    While the IDE bus manager seems to be more compatible with older
    hardware, since we don't really use it anymore, I wouldn't mind
    removing it.

If Haiku supports PC's made in 2005 and newer, IDE won't be the primary interface type to begin with. However, there are several AMD and other chipsets that may stop working if the old IDE driver is removed.

Sean