[haiku-development] Re: hpkgs and compression

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 22:57:31 +0100

On 26.03.2014 16:51, David Given wrote:
On 3/25/14, 8:59 PM, Ingo Weinhold wrote:
[...]
Yes, the start of the data is always page-aligned. What I meant is
making contained data structures 8-byte aligned, like the start of
the heap, the TOC, etc.

Not sure for what reason. I don't see a benefit in mmap()ing these
structures anyway.

Because it means that you can access the structures via a pointer,
without having to explicitly read them into memory, with the knowledge
that the pointer is correctly aligned.

The data structures in question are a few very simple headers. mmap()ing the whole file to access them is certainly not beneficial wrt. to performance and doesn't really make a difference wrt. code simplicity (at least not a positive one).

That aside, HPKGs contain data that are (respectively can be) compressed, which makes mmap()ing entirely useless.

CU, Ingo