[haiku-development] Re: harddisk access

  • From: Marcus Overhagen <marcusoverhagen@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:54:04 +0200 (CEST)

Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Quoting Euan Kirkhope <euan.kirkhope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > I've looked at this also when trying to fix an IDE DMA issue with my
> > desktop chipset.  Couldn't really figure it out at all, and I was only
> > at the kernel level!
>
> Same here.
> My feeling is that we have a way too much complex IDE subsystem, and it
> doesn't
> help when it comes to add SATA controlers support, software RAID support and
> the
> like. When I look at *BSD, Linux and even Syllable IDE/SATA/softRaid source
> code, their doesn't looks that complex and spread all over the source tree.

Yes, the pnp device subsystem is really crazy and very hard to understand.
SCSI and IDE use it, and are tightly conntected.

> Maybe I miss all the point there, but both Haiku and the current BeOS users
> community needs SATA support, that's a life issue now I think...

I have started to work on SATA and AHCI support about 3 month ago,
but I haven't been able to work on it during May and June.

I realized that my attempt of hooking the AHCI support into the IDE bus_manager
is wrong, because AHCI doesn't need this whole IDE emulation layer.

In fact, emulating IDE using AHCI is more complicated than hooking AHCI into a
higher
layer, such as a SCSI SIM module, or perhaps even higher (haven't checked that
yet).

regards
Marcus

Viel oder wenig? Schnell oder langsam? Unbegrenzt surfen + telefonieren
ohne Zeit- und Volumenbegrenzung? DAS TOP ANGEBOT FÜR ALLE NEUEINSTEIGER
Jetzt bei Arcor: günstig und schnell mit DSL - das All-Inclusive-Paket
für clevere Doppel-Sparer, nur  34,95 ?  inkl. DSL- und ISDN-Grundgebühr!
http://www.arcor.de/rd/emf-dsl-2