[haiku-development] Re: [haiku-development] Re: Name the package manager "Software Valet"

  • From: <dancso.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 12:06:35 +0000

+1 for Haiku Depot

Feladó: Alex-P. Natsios
Elküldve: ‎kedd‎, ‎2013‎. ‎június‎ ‎4‎. ‎14‎:‎04
Címzett: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Fredrik Andersson
<fredrikandersson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think it's generally quite irrelevant what a english word happens to mean
> in another language.

I strongly disagree with that. for a variety of reasons that are too
long and would turn us entirely offtopic (take pidora[1] as a hint
though)

There is no word in Greek that could be close sound/pronunciation wise
with the word "valet" (unlike with our Italian friends) so its not
directly a confusion in that way.

But its translation has nothing to do with packages nor would it be
anywhere near comprehensible by the common eye (hell even I wouldn't
realize the meaning and i am not new to either FOSS or
software/package management in general).

+1 to Haiku Depot though.

[1]http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki/index.php/Pidora_Russian
--
Regards,