[haiku-development] Re: haiku-development Digest V4 #108

  • From: Romain <romain.haiku@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:29:40 +0200

> From: Oliver Ruiz Dorantes <oliver.ruiz.dorantes@xxxxxxxxx>
> I remember some time ago a thread called "Call for help: FAT file system
> module"
> So Emil, unless that has been solved, is a good point to start and to
> actually help Haiku.
> Welcome!

This was fixed some weeks ago. I do not think there are any left tickets
on fat stability.

> From: "Axel =?windows-1252?q?D=F6rfler?=" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 23:14:46 +0200
>
>> I've read about FAT16/FAT32's design and it seems "simple". Would
>> this be a
>> great place to start?
>
> The FAT code is pretty messy and not really something one should learn
> from (at least not as positive example).
> If you want to learn I guess a good start is looking at how the boot
> loader file system's are implemented (the Amiga FFS would be the
> simplest FS there). As a next step when going to the kernel (which just
> has a broader API to implement), the ext2 file system is a very simple
> and easy to understand one, and the implementation should be relatively
> clean and straight-forward.

I would also recommend you to read you the ext2 code that is much easier
to understand. BTW I still want to re-design the FAT filesystem so that it
is structured more like the other ones. Just need to find some time for
that.
Emil, If you want to write some filesystem code this task might interest
you. But maybe it is not the easiest way to start working on filesystems.