[haiku-development] Re: [haiku-commits] Re: r36420 - in haiku/trunk: build/jam headers/os/drivers src/add-ons/kernel/bus_managers/acpi src/add-ons/kernel/drivers/power src/add-ons/kernel/drivers/power/acpi_embedded_controller ...

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 19:38:57 +0200

On 2010-04-23 at 19:25:46 [+0200], Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Fredrik Holmqvist wrote:

> > I've havn't heard of anyone with that problem yet. It's a scary
> > problem. Is there anything we can/should do regarding this?
> >

> FWIW, this happens when I run ACPI-enabled Haiku on my good old AMD
> Athlon XP machine.

This means there is already one example of hardware which we would toast if
we enable the flag in Alpha 2. Old AMD machines especially just go up in
smoke, they (at least some older models) have no self-preservation like
Intel CPUs have since the Pentium III.

As sad as this may be, this means we should not ship with ACPI enabled. The
proper fix would be to have ACPI drivers which control the fan speed, but I
see no way we have those in time for the release. Perhaps there is an easy
way to have drivers that just put whatever hardwere in "auto" mode, if there
is such a thing, but I have no idea how many specs there are, and it would
again need proper testing.

Best regards,
-Stephan