[haiku-development] Re: haiku_loader never appears on my screen (resolved)

  • From: "Starsseed" <starsseed@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 01:30:22 +0200

Hi

From: "André Braga" <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
I suspect there is at least one bug on Loïc's loader (it's likely that it can't load the system if the partition is beyond 4GB because the LBA packet is using a 32-bit
address), but that's trivial to fix though.
Since LBA is a sector_adress, the code can handle 512*4GiB = 2TiB
(vs 8GiB for 24bits CHS based adresses)
Also, standard MBRs anly store 32 bits values for LBA adresses, so boot loaders
don't need to handle 48 bits adresses.

From: "Fredrik Holmqvist" <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx>
+1 it should go to trunk as soon as it it is ready but Alpha3 is not
for the absolutly latest changes, unless they are critical.
So far, the greatest part of the PC that I tested did not boot the "anyboot-image".
So it's critical to me.

we could merge the patch in the trunk, and wait as late as possible to see if it should
be merged in the Alpha 3 branch ?

Regards