[haiku-development] Re: haiku_loader never appears on my screen (resolved)

  • From: André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 13:52:14 -0300

Em 03/06/2011, às 05:21, "Axel Dörfler"<axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
> In any case, we should put it to trunk now, and since we have relaxed our
> alpha release plan, I think we could put it there, too, if there aren't any
> problems after having it in trunk for a few days.

Nice :)

> Anyway, thanks Starseed and André for all your work! BTW I would prefer
> Starseed's version for the license, but I think having GPT support in there
> is more important (if there aren't any other functional differences).

And that's not even considering that his version /looks/ nicer, with the use of
macros and structs :)

But I pretty much doubt that it would still look remotely like that were one to
add GPT support to it. It's simply so much code on such little space that one
must resort to exploiting side effects; even the order where code appears makes
a huge difference on the final size, thanks to variable opcode length.

As far as functionality goes, they should be identical. And while in theory I
could relicense "my" part of the code, I thought it would be silly to claim
copyright on moving existing code around (so the jumps would be shorter) and
adding a few opcodes of my own. The loader is mostly FreeBSD code, (and the
current mbr.S is straight from them), so credit to whom it is due, right?

Cheers,
A.