[haiku-development] Re: [haiku] Re: NetPositive missing symbol?

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 11:40:28 +0100

On 06.02.2012 01:05, Pete Goodeve wrote:
On Sat, Feb 04, 2012 at 09:12:35PM -0800, Pete Goodeve wrote:
On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 04:10:52AM +0100, Fran wrote:
Tried NetSurf ? Doesn't have JS but should be quite fast.
It's just not finished.

Heh.  I thought I'd try your suggestion.  Ran:

I am a bit puzzled. The NetSurf port pre-dates my WebKit work. Before I even started with WebKit, I investigated the NetSurf port. I got to the point of understanding how it works internally and I was able to build and test NetSurf myself. Even ignoring any issues of the actual port of NetSurf to Haiku being unfinished, NetSurf itself was barely useable or not usable at all with any of the important sites I tried. And ignoring that the sites would barely work, loading them wasn't any fast either. That's why I decided to try and work on the WebKit port in the first place.

Why anyone would still use NetPositive is beyond me, except if the WebPositive was unreliable. In my experience, it has become more unreliable after I stopped working on it, which may be caused by changes in Haiku or more likely the updates of libCURL in the meantime. In any case, WebPositive starts up nearly as fast as NetPositive, certainly after the second time. The only other issue is that WebPositive does not use any disk caching, so sites may load slower. But what's the point of comparing when they don't work in NetPositive anyway?

Any effort should be directed into fixing reliability issues of WebPositive and to implement a network cache. That being said, NetPositive should work under our stated goal of binary compatibility.

Best regards,
-Stephan