[haiku-development] Re: [haiku] Re: NetPositive missing symbol?

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:39:21 -0800

On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 02:27:16PM -0800, Donn Cave wrote:
> Quoth Pete Goodeve,
> > ...  Under NP it was readable in under 2 seconds;
> > with WP I was still waiting 30 secs later!
>
> By coincidence, I just today experimented with a fix for this problem
> in WebPositive.  My build loads a page in something like 3 seconds,
> compared to 19 seconds for the standard build.
>
> If you use strace on WebPositive, you can see what it's up to during
> those seconds - I think you'll see it's timing out in _kern_select,
> after sending what I believe are IPV6 DNS requests.  (The timeouts add
> up to 22 seconds, maybe my wall clock timing is off.)  My fix was to
> specify an IPv4-only option for the curl library called by webcore.

Not quite clear on the details here... Was this a rebuild of curl or WP?

Should moving the ipv6 modules (in .../network/protocols and
 datalink-protocols) out of the way have a similar effect?
Doing a "strace -f Webpositive|grep select" with and without them
shows little difference. -- and nothing noticeable in page-download
time.  There seem to be some long select waits (~34ms) in both
conditions, and quite a few 5ms ones (haven't totalled them up).

        -- Pete --