[haiku-development] Re: [haiku] Re: Future releases? Recommend nightlies? gcc2?

  • From: kallisti5 <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Given <dg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 17:40:30 -0600

On 2016-12-05 17:22, David Given wrote:

On 05/12/16 23:21, kallisti5 wrote:
[...]
Then simply run the 32-bit gcc2h that has gcc5 as a secondary architecture.

Not sure what the pain point is here... we're already catering to 32-bit
machines with these R1 release plans :-)

I'm worried that 32-bit is going to become a second-class platform,
given that any new development is going to happen on gcc5, and that (for
reasons stated elsewhere) I believe that 32-bit hardware is going to be
the largest potential userbase.

Is there any technical reason why this couldn't be gcc5 with gcc2 as the
secondary architecture? That way all the gcc5 stuff can be used in core,
with the gcc2 stuff retained as a compatibility layer on top of it for
legacy BeOS apps.

That was my original opinion, and I agree gcc2h will become a secondary citizen.

It has been mentioned that we've "tested gcc2h a lot more vs gcc5h". However, even gcc5h would become a secondary citizen... so I think it's a moot argument. Not as many folks use 32-bit x86 hardware now.

Guys, all the bikeshed. This has been happening for *years*. I personally just want to get *something* out. We can't make everyone happy.

What if I make a poll on discuss.haiku-os.org of the most popular ideas and we go with "whatever has the most votes"? You have to be registered on discuss.haiku-os.org to vote. (and the usernames can be seen for each release type.

Here are the popular options I've heard:

x86:gcc2h
x86:gcc5h
x86:gcc2h , x86_64:gcc5
x86:gcc5h , x86_64:gcc5
No opinion

Comma means "we release two installation isos as part of R1"

Voting will be a 7 day period.

Sound like a good plan?

 -- Alex