[haiku-development] Re: [haiku] Re: Future releases? Recommend nightlies? gcc2?

  • From: looncraz <looncraz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 23:40:58 -0600

On 12/2/2016 20:04, waddlesplash wrote:

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 4:22 PM, Julian Harnath
<julian.harnath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is something I've been thinking about as well a while ago. If we had
some kind of ABI-agnostic intermediate layer, it would not only solve the
gcc2/5 problem, it would also allow binding to Haiku APIs from languages
other than C++ altogether.
The obvious question/problem is how much of a performance hit that
would be and/or how much build hassle it would introduce (I can't
think of any easy solutions which aren't a major hit in one area or
the other...)

-waddlesplash

I explored this idea (mostly mentally) a few years ago for a potential way to not need gcc2 binaries at all while still supporting gcc2 apps. My idea was to detect ABI by simply attempting to solve missing symbols by demangling and remangling and rechecking for a match, then to translate the application live. GCC 2 apps would be slower, but all else should be unaffected... and, of course, this should then allow other ABIs to become supported relatively easily... but that isn't as useful as it seems.

The (obvious to some) downside, of course, is that not all methods between GCC4+ and GCC2 are compatible, so you would then need to create a record of those incompatibilities... or you could just compile the libraries and keep them around and save yourself the hassle :p So I quit at that.

--The loon