[haiku-development] h264 was broken? [was Re: Beta1 and R1 release plan]

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 11:01:11 +0100

> Am 04.11.2014 um 10:35 schrieb Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 09:39:23AM +0100, Axel Dörfler wrote:
>>> It is currently not possible to encode audio and video in Haiku
>>> (MediaConverter will crash).
>>
>> I don't really see the connection. ffmpeg definitely could do that years
>> ago, the problem must be on our side, anyway.
>
> Well, yes, we could go back to ffmpeg 0.8.something, which worked, but
> then we lose support for h264 and probably some other really common
> video and audio formats (also for decoding).

I don’t know why you say that. I can assure you that h264 worked when I worked
on the ffmpeg media add-on. Maybe it got broken by an in-between update of
ffmpeg, I don’t know. At least I was not aware that it was broken at some
point, and I watched h264 encoded videos on Haiku from time to time.

Best regards,
-Stephan