[haiku-development] Re: graphics server

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 13:18:41 +0100 (MET)

Joseph Groover<looncraz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When a new graphics driver is installed, the app_server could quickly
> suspend connections, the kernel would suspend all connected threads
> correctly, and the app_server would shut itself down.

I don't really understand what you are targeting at with the rest, but there is
absolutely no need to restart the app_server when you install a new graphics
driver; for the app_server, there is virtually no difference between that, and
changing the screen resolution.

In the same sense, the app_server is certainly multi-head capable -- just the
current accelerant API is not. It's a matter of replacing that one, the
app_server already supports arbitrary HWInterface implementations (as Michael's
network implementation shows).

Bye,
   Axel.