[haiku-development] Re: get_token_list() and get_window_info()

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 18:04:48 +0100

On 2009-01-02 at 11:42:50 [+0100], Mauro de Wit <maurodewit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok, but I am stubborn and want to use these methods anyway :-)
> And the fact that they are "subject to change" doesn't hold me back, since
> R5 is not changing anymore and Haiku supports these calls (at least in R1).

Here you could be mistaken. Even if Haiku has the API now, it might be gone
tomorrow. That is what private API means -- it can change at any time and
should therefore not be used by application developers.

> Wat does this "private calls" mean in this context? Are these calls really
> not available in my own programs?
> Or does including the right header file suffice?

You can use private API -- and if there's no public API offering the same
functionality, you'll have to do that, if you need that functionality -- but
you likely won't find it in a public header. That is you'll have to get the
header or at least the relevant definitions it contains from "somewhere". In
this case just copy from the Deskbar code.

CU, Ingo