[haiku-development] Re: gcc4 boot problem [was: Re: R1 Alpha 2 Optional Package discussion]

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 14:15:34 +0200

On 2010-04-17 at 21:59:29 [+0200], Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx >
wrote:
Inspired by Axel, I'm trying to build Haiku HEAD on Haiku r36100/
gcc4hybrid. The build completes okay, but on boot during the rocket
icon Haiku stalls:

runtime_loader: Cannot open file libstdc++.so: No such file or directory runtime_loader: Cannot open file libsupc++.so: No such file or directory

This might be a problem related to
building under Haiku or using an "install" instead of an "image" target. I suggest investigating what goes wrong during the build -- i.e. why the C++
libs don't end up in /system/libs.

I've filed http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/5744 with my findings and a workaround. Thanks guys for narrowing down the error source!

With gcc4 set as current compiler and HAIKU_CC etc. in build/
BuildConfig modified to use /boot/develop/abi/x86/gcc2/tools/current/
bin/, the gcc2 part of the build fails due to -lstdc++.r4 or
something. With gcc2 set as current compiler, there's no such
compilation failure. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to
compile a new "cross-compiler" for a hybrid build?

Unfortunately using either gcc without having set it as the current
compiler (via setgcc) doesn't work ATM.

Confirmed, with Matt's instructions during the gcc2 part of the build I instead get:

gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp0': No such file or directory

One difference is that instead of absolute paths {{{configure}}} appears to generate relative paths for the non-set gcc, e.g. {{{.}}} and {{{./include}}}. Replacing those with absolute paths does not improve the situation. Is there already a ticket for that? I didn't find one on a quick search.

Andreas