[haiku-development] Re: gcc4 boot problem [was: Re: R1 Alpha 2 Optional Package discussion]

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 22:29:57 +0200

On 2010-04-17 at 21:59:29 [+0200], Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
wrote:
> Am 17.04.2010 um 21:14 schrieb Rene Gollent:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx
> > > wrote:
> >> Still trying to bootstrap from there, it seems an r36331 gcc4
> >> install-haiku
> >> install is not bootable...
> >
> > FWIW, r36331 gcc4's running fine here.
>
> gcc4 is not the problem.
>
> Inspired by Axel, I'm trying to build Haiku HEAD on Haiku r36100/
> gcc4hybrid. The build completes okay, but on boot during the rocket
> icon Haiku stalls:
>
> runtime_loader: Cannot open file libstdc++.so: No such file or directory
> runtime_loader: Cannot open file libsupc++.so: No such file or directory
>
> That did not happen for a gcc4hybrid cross-build from Linux.
> So my guess is that a pure gcc4 build is no longer possible and I need
> a hybrid build. Unfortunately that doesn't work natively.

At least a pure gcc4 cross-build works fine here. That's what I normally
work with under Linux with qemu. This might be a problem related to
building under Haiku or using an "install" instead of an "image" target. I
suggest investigating what goes wrong during the build -- i.e. why the C++
libs don't end up in /system/libs.

> With gcc4 set as current compiler and HAIKU_CC etc. in build/
> BuildConfig modified to use /boot/develop/abi/x86/gcc2/tools/current/
> bin/, the gcc2 part of the build fails due to -lstdc++.r4 or
> something. With gcc2 set as current compiler, there's no such
> compilation failure. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to
> compile a new "cross-compiler" for a hybrid build?

Unfortunately using either gcc without having set it as the current
compiler (via setgcc) doesn't work ATM.

CU, Ingo