[haiku-development] Re: ffmpeg licensing

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 16:58:37 -0400

Urias McCullough wrote:
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
To me this applies to ffmpeg and freetype. I think we should just turn
on the subpixel rendering in freetype and ship it, instead of jumping
through hoops just because of the United States and its horrible
patent system.

Let's try not to turn this into a large "opinion" thread (wrong
mailing list for that).

There is some merit to ignoring the possible patent threats until
they've actually been tested in court. As it stands, the Haiku project
doesn't really benefit financially by using potentially-patented code,
so we're probably not in any danger.

Unlike copyrights, patents are an extremely gray and fuzzy area of
intellectual property law. At the very least, if there was any legal
issue that affected Haiku directly, it would probably be excellent PR
for the project anyhow. One might say it would be a "good problem to
have", as it would demonstrate that Haiku has become an actual threat
to someone who cares.

Because the reality is as much as we may hate it, this corrupt system
won't be changing overnight. We should just be glad that (so far) the
EU and most other countries haven't followed suit.

It's really becoming a world-wide problem, everyone should be on alert
and voicing their opinions to their government representatives :)

- Urias

Actually, given my research into patent law, ignoring them and waiting is a good approach, if the owner fails to enforce them, they become less enforceable in certain instances. Also as Haiku is largely a Hobby project, is not commercially for sale and is used for more or less, academic functionality, the study and implementation of a patent is allowed under certain academic situations. If haiku became a for profit project selling as a product, that would likely allow for legal recourse. At which point, haiku inc would have to purchase license to use the patents involved from mpegla. Also many of the patents effecting ffmpeg, are dying off quickly. the last patents on mp3 are due to die around 2017 iirc. mpeg1 and mpeg2 and several other patent encumbered codecs have started timming out specific portions of the patents. Likely why the industry keeps coming up with new codecs.

So, it is, what it is.

Sean