[haiku-development] Re: ext3 Journal Design Considerations

  • From: Sean Bartell <wingedtachikoma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:46:09 -0400

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 02:36:51AM +0000, Janito Ferreira Filho wrote:
> The second
> use would also be for future-proofing for external journals. The idea is
>  to "rename" the Volume class into "Ext3Volume", and have a parent
> generic "Volume" containing just basic functions (and a block cache).
> This allows me to initiate a Journal with two Volumes, one for the
> journal and one for the file system. Somehow I feel that this solution
> is somewhat less elegant. What does everyone think? Am I complicating
> things too much?

I think it's worth keeping in mind that, at some point, Haiku will have
to support filesystems based on multiple volumes (ZFS, Btrfs, maybe
LVM). Maybe that could be done generically and used to support external
journals? There would need to be a general way to determine which
volumes are part of the same filesystem.